7 Points to Be Taken Care of in Monsoon Season
Monsoon season brings with it heavier rain and wind than other seasons do. If your house has a leak, broken walls or clogging drains, they can become worse in this season. That is why we need to check these spots carefully.
1. Roof: Leaking roof is often caused by the gaps between the joints or the capping ridge. If any spot is found broken or leaving some gaps, immediately fix or replace it. Also, if the gutter is blocked with fallen leaves and trash, it should be washed before it is clogged up and then cannot carry rainwater off in time, causing the water to leak through the roof.
2. Walls: If the wall is cracked, rainwater can seep through. So you should immediately fix any broken part depending on the type and size of the crack. If it is a craze or a small crack, you can use impermeable cement, acrylic or polyurethane to cover it. If the size of the crack is more than 1 mm. or if it is too deep, you have to fill it before applying such impermeable materials.
3. Doors & Windows: Leakage from doors and windows is often caused by these two factors. First, the joints between the frame and the cement wall, and second the crack around the corner of the frame. You can fix this by applying polyurethane sealant on it.
Plus, wooden doors, windows and frames can swell, bend or become mouldy when wet, causing you to have to fix them often. To prevent such problems, just use the kind of material that is resistant to water and moisture such as SHERA fibre-cement doors and frames.
SHERA Door and Doorframe made of fibre-cement
4. Exterior Floors: The floors of the patio and balcony or the walkway in the garden can become mossy after having been wet from the rain and so slippery and dirty. You should always clean these floors for the safety of your family.
If the exterior floors are made of actual wood and they are often wet because of the rain, they can bend, swell, decay or become mouldy. For long-term durability and cost effectiveness, you should lay the exterior floors with SHERA Wood which is natural-like but more durable against weather conditions as it is made of world-class fibre-cement. SHERA Wood is also easy to maintain and can last beside your house for a long time.
SHERA Color Through (Floor Plank)
5. Exterior Electronic Appliances: Make sure you carefully check if your exterior appliances are in good condition such as cables, lamps or switches. Any worn-out or deteriorating pieces should be fixed or replaced as soon as possible, or else rainwater can cause electrical leakage or short, which can be lethal.
6. Drains: Often check the drains around your house. Remove all the fallen leaves, clay or any trash blocking the drains; otherwise, they can become clogged up, cannot carry off rainwater in time and will eventually overflow.
7. Garden: You should cut any large branches of trees near the house or the parking area because heavy rain and storms can cause them to fall over and damage your properties. If you have just started to grow some trees, make sure you build supporters to prevent them from falling or breaking easily.
You should often trim the lawn and trees in the garden so that it will not become a habitat for venomous animals such as snakes or scorpions.
Just make sure to check all the 7 spots mentioned above and your house will be safe without such problems in this monsoon season.